Here is an always-growing list of the presses we stan. Will they ever love us back? Who knows, but order direct from them regardless, and discover the books the algorithm never tells you about. In no particular order:
- AK Press: anarchist and radical books + more
- Kaya Press: books of the Asian Pacific diaspora
- Pluto Press: anti-capitalist, internationalist and politically independent publisher based in London
- Milkweed Editions: Minneapolis-based independent publisher of literary fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. You may know them as the publisher of Braiding Sweetgrass.
- Freedom Press: anarchist publishing house & bookstore that’s been around since the days of Kropotkin
- Microcosm Publishing: independent book and zine publisher focusing on DIY, empowerment, gender, punk & more
- Seven Stories Press: “works of the imagination and political titles by voices of conscience,” including works by Angela Davis, Octavia Butler, Mumia Abu-Jamal, and Howard Zinn
- PM Press: independent publisher that specializes in radical, Marxist and anarchist literature and more
- Reaktion Books: London-based publisher of some great animal & plant series as well as art & architecture books
- Flowersong Press: “nurtures essential verse from, about, and through the borderlands.”
- neon hemlock: DC-based publisher of speculative fiction, rad zines and queer chapbooks
- Drawn & Quarterly: brilliant comic books, comic strip collections and graphic novels from Montreal. Kate Beaton’s Ducks will be the highlight of our year.
- Stone Bridge Press: Berkeley, CA-based publisher of titles in “such Japan-related areas as language, business, literature, manga, design, and culture.”
- Inhabit Books: The only independent publishing company located in the Canadian Arctic. Aims to preserve and promote the stories, knowledge and talent of Inuit and northern Canada. Many books for young readers.
Zine distros etc.